Main Content

You are here

What Compliance Does My Research Require?

What Compliance Does My Research Require?

The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation provides programs and services to help you meet the ethical and regulatory requirements for the responsible conduct of research. Use the questions below to determine your requirements and find contact information for units that offer support.

What compliance does my research require?

If you:

Have a laboratory or oversee research work

  • Ensure that you and your personnel have received the appropriate training
  • Be prepared to deal with emergencies–have a written plan and appropriate spill response materials; ensure that personnel are familiar with the plan; and maintain current information on door signs for emergency personnel
  • Manage conflicts of commitment and interest that may arise
  • Conduct research and publication activities according to accepted ethical standards

Conduct research using animals

Conduct research using people, personal information, or human specimens 

  • Review information on the Office for the Protection of Research Subjects website
  • Submit a "Protocol Form" or an “Exempt Form” along with funding proposals if applicable
  • Obtain approval before initiating your research
  • Submit a renewal form at least once annually

Conduct research with human materials; any plant, animal, or human pathogens; transgenic plants or animals; nonhuman primate materials; biotoxins; wild mammal materials; or recombinant DNA

Work with chemicals

  • Have a written Laboratory Safety Plan that addresses the safe use, proper storage, engineering controls, personal protective equipment, and emergency response procedures for chemicals in your laboratory
  • Make sure laboratory personnel are familiar with and follow the safety plan requirements and use Safety Data Sheets appropriately

Work with radioactive materials

  • Obtain a radiation permit from DRS. The facilities, equipment, and procedures required to work safely with these materials will be addressed in the registration or permitting

Generate hazardous waste in the laboratory

  • Know the options and requirements for disposal of biological, chemical, and radiological waste–DRS provides free collection and disposal of most laboratory wastes

Receive, ship, or transport hazardous material to or from off-campus locations

Use biological safety cabinets

  • Get your cabinet certified at the time of installation, annually thereafter, and at any time the unit is relocated, then send certification report to DRS

Work with analytical X-ray machines or operate lasers

  • Register the machine with DRS and develop a written safety plan and safe operating procedures

Are going on sabbatical leave or will be absent more than 30 days

  • Appoint a person familiar with laboratory procedures to oversee the laboratory in your absence
  • Ensure that there is a named co-investigator who has the authority to make any necessary decisions regarding animal use on any animal use protocol
  • Notify the Grants and Contracts Office, Post-Award Administration (GCO) and the Sponsor, if you have a sponsored project

Are resigning or leaving the University

  • Arrange for final disposal of all biological, chemical, and radiological materials
  • Decontaminate all work surfaces and perform a radiation survey, if applicable
  • Leave the laboratory clean for the next occupant
  • Contact the IACUC to terminate any animal use protocol or amend protocol to name new investigator
  • Contact the GCO, if you have a sponsored project

Have Intellectual Property (IP) concerns or need assistance with IP disclosure, licensing, transfer, or agreements


Principal Investigators

I'm looking for...

Limited Submission Information

Human Subject Usage

Sponsored Research