The Empowered Official
As required by 22 C.F.R. 120.25, the Empowered Official for ITAR has the following authorities and responsibilities that may not be delegated:
- Signing applications for licenses and other requests for approval under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations on behalf of the university and university personnel;
- Taking appropriate measures to enforce this policy;
- Reporting suspected export control violations to the cognizant federal authorities; and
- Any other authorities and responsibilities enumerated at 22 C.F.R. 120.25.
The Empowered Official for the Urbana-Champaign campus is David Richardson.
The Export Compliance Officer
The Export Compliance Officer serves as the primary contact for members of the Urbana-Champaign community regarding export controls, including:
- Applying for export licenses on behalf of the university and university personnel
- Assisting researchers in developing technology control plans
- Conducting training and providing other educational programs regarding export compliance
The Export Compliance Officer for the Urbana-Champaign campus is Kathy Gentry.
As a researcher, you bear the primary responsibility for ensuring compliance with export controls in the conduct of research and any other university activities you participate in. This may include:
- Contacting the Export Compliance Officer for assistance with any activities or relationships that may require a technology control plan, including:
- Research intended to develop military or dual-use technologies
- Research, including fundamental research, involving the use of controlled information or equipment
- Travel to embargoed countries
- Exports of controlled items and information, including deemed exports
- Disclosing to the Export Compliance Officer any suspected violations
- Working with the Export Compliance Officer to ensure that the controlled technologies you use and produce are appropriately identified, correctly categorized, and adequately secured
- Knowing and complying with the terms of funding awards and other agreements that impose limitations on publishing research data
- Working with the Export Compliance Officer to ensure that other faculty, staff, and students under your supervision receive appropriate training on conducting research and participating in controlled activities in compliance with regulatory and contractual obligations