Resources for Managing Conflict of Commitment or Interest
Creating Conflict Management Plans
- How to Create Content Management Plan
- Download a Generic Conflict Management Plan Template
- SPARC Presentation: Creating Conflict Management Plans September 2014
- Financial Disclosure and Requirements for PHS Investigators
- PHS Financial Conflict of Interest Information Request Form
- NSF Conflict of Interest Requirements
Letter Templates for Conflict Management
Below are templates for letters that may be useful in managing apparent conflicts of interest. Please contact the Conflict of Interest Office (217-333-0034, email@example.com) if you have questions, or if you would like assistance in revising a letter.
Unit Executive Officer Confirmation of Conflict Management
This letter may be sent by a unit executive officer (UEO) to acknowledge an employee’s acceptance of the terms and conditions for conflict management. Together, the letter to the employee and the Report of Non-University Activities may constitute a plan for the management of conflicts of interest.
Familial Conflict of Interest
This letter may be sent to family members who collaborate on research projects, or who may be paid on the same sponsored research agreement.
University Interest in Employee Consulting
This letter may be sent to an employee by the UEO to document that the university has no interest in any intellectual property developed in the course of faculty outside consulting, provided that certain conditions are met.
- Example Disclosure Language
- Licensing Intellectual Property Developed at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to Companies Affiliated with University Employees
- National Bureau of Economic Research Guidelines
- Office of Business and Financial Services Policies and Procedures
- Office of Research Integrity, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research