Interdisciplinary groups were charged by the Office of the Provost and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation to advise campus administration on activities that support the growth, strength, and visibility of the university's interdisciplinary research enterprise. See the final reports below.
Members of the Working Group in Computation, Data, and Information provided advice and input to the Vice Chancellor for Research, the Provost, and the Chancellor on research issues in computation across campus.
Specific committee activities included:
- Advising campus administration on how best to support both scholarship in these areas and partnerships between researchers in these areas and scholars in other disciplines
- Building on the process of Visioning Future Excellence, connecting individuals and groups of researchers to enable creative new scholarship, as well as assisting researchers in connecting emerging capabilities with a range of scholarly disciplines
- Working with OVCR staff to create strong coherent external communications that present Illinois as a world leader in computation, data and information
- Preparing the campus for more effective pursuit of large funding opportunities in these areas by identifying them early and suggesting possible proposal teams
- Identifying the multiple units, centers, and research programs on campus that support research in these areas and making recommendations for how to promote possible synergies