You are here
The Scholars' Travel Fund (STF) is a Campus Research Board program that supports U of I faculty members in the presentation of original scholarly research and creative work at academic gatherings such as national disciplinary meetings and specialized conferences. Funding for up to three faculty members for the same presentation is available, but each faculty member must submit a separate application.
Please note, the following are not supported:
- Participation as discussant
- Participation as chair
- Invited lecturer at individual campus
- Research-related travel
Applications must be submitted online no later than 3 p.m. on the deadline date. Results will be e-mailed to the applicants approximately two weeks after the deadline date.
STF support is limited to Illinois full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty members, full-time lecturers, University High School faculty members, and Legacy Research Scholars in targeted units.
- Funding is not available for emeritus/ae faculty, rehired retirees or visiting appointments (i.e., visiting lecturer, visiting assistant professor, visiting research associate professor, etc.).
- The number of trips a faculty member is eligible to receive support for during the fiscal year is dependent upon their rank. Each conference counts as one trip in the year in which application is made, regardless of when the conference is held. (The fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30 of each year.)
- Assistant professors are eligible to receive funding for two trips per fiscal year. One of the trips may be to a foreign destination.
- Associate professors, professors, full-time lecturers, University High School faculty members and Legacy Research Scholars are eligible to receive funding for one trip per fiscal year. The trip may be to a domestic or foreign destination.
- Retroactive funding will NOT be considered. The dates of travel must occur after the results release date. The release date is the second Friday after the deadline date. (e.g., deadline date of April 1, 2015; results release date of April 10, 2015.)
Travel costs for domestic and international destinations are budgeted according to zones (5 for domestic, 6 for international). Rates are reviewed and periodically adjusted to account for cost increases.
All travel outside the United States is considered foreign travel. Click here for a list of the Travel Award amounts for various destinations. STF awards may be used for airfare, reimbursement of automobile mileage, conference registration fees, taxis, trains, busses, subways, business telephone calls, business expenses, toll road charges, parking charges, meals, and lodging in accordance with University and State policies. Payment of association dues cannot be supported by STF funds.
All documentation for STF award payments is submitted via the University's TEM system.
- For STF awards, Expense Report titles must begin as follows: “STF AwardNumber – AwardeeLastName” (Ex. STF 12345 – Smith). This is important because it allows our office to match the Expense Report to its corresponding award and then approve the transaction.
- To charge expenses to the STF award, choose an STF CFOP when allocating charges. Either the ICR (1-200250-207003-207005) or the State (1-100015-207003-207005) STF CFOP may be used. The reason both are available to use is that ICR and State funds cannot be mixed within a single Expense Report.
- If you need to search for the STF CFOP, do so by clicking the Find Project icon and, in the Project Code field, searching by CFOP segment using an asterisk (*) as a wild card. Enter *P207005 to search by Program or *O207003 to search by Org.
- Once submitted, TEM routes Expense Reports to the OVCR for review and approval as part of the Charge Code Reviewer process.
If a Conference Registration Fee is paid on a P-Card and needs to be applied to the STF award, send documentation to the OVCR Business Office at email@example.com and a journal voucher will be processed. Reconcile the P-Card charge to a departmental account. Do not use the STF CFOP to reconcile your charge within the P-Card system.
Contact Evan Simpson at 300-6232 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
2014-2015 Submission Deadlines
|Submission Deadline||Result Release Date|
|July 2, 2014||July 11, 2014|
|August 6, 2014||August 15, 2014|
|September 3, 2014||September 12, 2014|
|October 1, 2014||October 10, 2014|
|November 5, 2014||November 14, 2014|
|December 3, 2014||December 12, 2014|
|January 7, 2015||January 16, 2015|
|February 4, 2015||February 13, 2015|
|March 4, 2015||March 13, 2015|
|April 1, 2015||April 10, 2015|
|May 6, 2015||May 15, 2015|
|June 3, 2015||June 12, 2015|
|July 1, 2015||July 10, 2015|
Remember, eligible Illinois faculty members must apply online. Applicants can save the application online and return to complete it at a later time. A separate application must be submitted for each travel request.
Please note that an application will not be reviewed until it has been successfully submitted.