Conflicts of Commitment and Interest
The Vice Chancellor for Research is responsible for the implementation of the University of Illinois Policy on Conflicts of Commitment and Interest on the Urbana campus.
The Policy is available at http://research.uillinois.edu/conflict-interest/coci-policy, along with forms, answers to frequently asked questions, and other resources relating to our annual disclosure process, the Report of Non-University Activities.
- Read the Chancellor's letter regarding our annual disclosure process.
- View the list of College Conflict of Interest Contacts.
- Watch a brief video about Conflict of Interest at Illinois.
- PHS Investigator Financial Disclosure and Training Requirements
- NSF Conflict of Interest Requirements
Creating Conflict Management Plans
Recent Presentations Relating to Conflict of Interest and Annual Disclosure
- Conflict of Interest Update September 2013
- Update for Business Managers September 2013
- SPARC Presentation: Creating Conflict Management Plans September 2014
Interim Guidelines for Licensing to University Employee Start-Up Companies
Conflict Management Oversight Meetings
When a Management Oversight Committee meets, a report on the meeting should be submitted to the Unit Executive Officer (UEO)
Familial Conflict of Interest - Policies and Resources
Many apparent conflicts of interest resulting from researcher family relationships can be managed by following standard University policies. Below are links to two relevant campus policies, and a sample letter that can be modified and sent to family members who serve as co-investigators or co-participants in a sponsored research project. Some cases may require additional management mechanisms or review, as in the case where human subjects are involved in the research.
Family relationships can sometimes create conflicts of interest relative to the procurement of goods and services. It is important to work with University Purchasing to seek appropriate approvals of a procurement of goods or services when there is a familial relationship between a University employee and the vendor.
- Sample letter from Department Head to co-investigators outlining management mechanisms
- Campus Policy on Employment of Relatives
- Conflicts of Interest in Supervisory Relationships
Information about COI in Purchasing
COI Training Available from the Office of Research Integrity, US Department of Health and Human Services
The Office of Research Integrity provides a discussion of Conflict of Interest as part of its Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research.