Main Content

You are here

Material Transfer

Material Transfer

Research often involves transferring materials or technology between institutions or companies. Agreements to protect ownership, acceptable uses, and intellectual property rights are important regardless of the direction of transfer.

Transferring Materials to the University

Any transfer of materials from another institution or companies into the university must be accompanied by a Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)Sponsored Program Administration provides guidance on the completion of the form and reviews for legal and policy issues. A joint Carle-Illinois Material Transfer Agreement Template and Data Use Agreement can be requested from SPA. SPA also reviews research gifts.

Transferring Materials from the University

Transfer of materials off campus to another institution or company is managed by the Office of Technology Management (OTM). OTM oversees campus Policies and Practices on Intellectual Property. Remember, shipping or receiving hazardous materials is subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) training requirements and other federal regulatory requirements.